Should You Feed Your Neighbor’s Cat? (Why It’s a Bad Idea)
Do you have a neighbor with an outdoor cat? You might be tempted to feed the kitty when you see it out in your yard, but not so fast! Should you feed your neighbor’s cat?
You should not feed your neighbor’s cat! You might think it’s a nice idea at the time, but you may be doing more harm than good. Feeding cats can lead to health issues, such as obesity and diabetes. You also may become liable for any vet bills if the cat gets sick from something it ate.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss how feeding your neighbors’ cats can create problems for them and their pets. We’ll also give tips on what you should do if you find yourself in this situation.
This post contains affiliate links. This means Yard Blogger may earn a commission should you make a purchase using any of our links. Please refer to our full affiliate disclosure policy for full details.
Here’s a Quick Pro Tip!
If the situation is reversed and you don’t want neighbors feeding your cat (which they shouldn’t be doing), one great idea is to set up an automatic cat feeder either inside or outside of your home.
This way, you can keep your cat away from other houses while making sure that your cat gets the nourishment that it needs!
We recommend the PETLIBRO Automatic Cat Feeder over at Amazon.
Is It Illegal to Feed Someone’s Cat?
It is not illegal to feed a neighbor’s cat. If you’re worried about breaking the law, contact your local animal control to inquire. Most areas have ordinances that prohibit people from feeding stray cats and wild animals.
Your neighbors should be aware of these laws and abide by them for their own sake and for their cat’s health.
Are There Health Issues With Feeding a Neighbor’s Cat?
There are many health issues associated with feeding a cat, especially if you feed the animals table scraps instead of commercially prepared cat food. Feeding your neighbor’s cat can lead to obesity and diabetes, which will only cause more health problems for their pet.
If you’re worried about your neighbors’ cat becoming overweight, talk to them before offering it any food. It may surprise you, but they may be willing to adjust the cat’s diet.
You should not feed your neighbor’s cat any human food. Some foods are okay for cats in moderation, but others can be very dangerous for their health.
Why Feeding Your Neighbor’s Cat Is Not a Good Idea
Here are six reasons why feeding your neighbor’s cat is NOT a good idea:
- If the kitty becomes accustomed to being fed by humans, then he or she can become aggressive when people walk by that person or house. They will charge towards them in an attempt of getting food that they’ve come to crave.
- Feeding cats human food may cause serious health problems if consumed on a regular basis. One example is osteoporosis caused by weakened bones from eating milk products.
- Cats that are fed outside by a variety of people develop a habit of going wherever they please without caring if they’re being a nuisance.
- Cats that are fed outside can do a lot of damage to your plants and flowers, which you would have to pay for instead of enjoying them! If the cat is eating the food you feed it (which many people do), this may also cause health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and kidney disease.
- The cat can easily become dehydrated if not given fresh water regularly.
- You may be liable for any veterinary bills your neighbor is forced to pay because of injuries his or her cat incurred after eating something that wasn’t meant for them.
Is It Bad to Feed Someone Else’s Cat?
Feeding someone else’s cat may seem like a good idea at first, especially if it seems to stay around your house. But you should really think twice before feeding another person’s cat.
If you notice that there is a stray or someone else’s cat outside your house, do not feed the animal! It may look hungry and it might be sad, but giving food out to every cat that comes by will create more problems than it solves.
If you are concerned about the cat, try to get in touch with its owners or figure out who they are if possible. You can also check your local animal shelter to see if they have an owner looking for their pet.
If not, you can always contact a humane society or an animal rescue organization, that will put you in touch with people who can take care of the cat.
You should also avoid feeding cats on your property because many of them are not neutered or spayed. Feeding all these cats may lead to overpopulation which could lead to serious health problems if someone doesn’t step up and care for them.
You might also enjoy our post on How to Feed Outdoor Cats While on Vacation
How Can I Stop My Neighbors From Feeding My Cat?
If you have a problem with your neighbors feeding your cat, there are a few things you can do to put a stop to this behavior:
- Talk with your neighbors about why you don’t want them feeding your cat.
- Put out your own cat food and water dishes.
- Fence off areas they might be coming into and having food and water for the animal.
- Put up a security camera system to catch neighbors in the act of leaving out food and the date and time it is done. Having proof on camera of your neighbors feeding your cat may help you get them to stop.
- If all else fails, you may have to take them to court if the problem is still persisting.
- If necessary, hire a lawyer and file a restraining order against your neighbors for harassment by continuing to feed your cat
- Take photos of your neighbor feeding your cat, then take them to the police department to file a complaint.
These are just a few ideas that can help you in your situation. You may want to contact a lawyer or even your local police department for more ideas on how to stop the neighbors from feeding your cat.
What Should I Do if Someone Feeds My Cat?
If you notice a neighbor or someone else is feeding your cat, it’s important to get in contact with them right away.
Let them know that their actions are upsetting you and that they need to stop at once.
If the person continues to feed your cat despite being told not to, then you may want to take them into court for harassment.
If you have a security camera set up, then you may want to take photos of the people feeding your cat and show them to the police.
Sometimes, all it takes is a few words from you for someone to stop their behavior. In other cases, however, you may need to get in contact with authorities on the matter.
Both you and your cat will be happier if the people feeding your cat leave it alone.
How Can I Tell If a Cat Is Someone’s Pet?
If you happen to see a cat on your street or in your yard, there’s no way of knowing whether the animal is someone’s pet or not.
It could be a feral cat or a wild animal that is just passing through. Even if the cat appears to be well-fed and groomed, it could also be a stray.
If you see a cat in your yard, make sure not to leave food out for it! This will only encourage the feline to stay around longer and become closer with you, the cat may even become aggressive if you try to remove it.
If there is a cat that has been around your property, don’t immediately assume that someone close by is feeding it. This would only be an assumption and assumptions are not good in this situation.
Instead, do some investigating or seek out help from an animal rescue shelter. They may be able to help you find the owner of the cat or they will know what to do with stray cats.
Remember, your neighbors are sure to appreciate it if you keep their pets out of your yard, so this would benefit everyone involved.
You might also enjoy our post on Neighbor Has Too Many Cats: What Should I Do?
Why Is Feeding Cats a Bad Idea?
One of the most important reasons as to why you should not feed a neighbor’s cat is because it can be considered trespassing.
If your neighbors know that their cat comes onto your property and they continue to feed it, this may lead to problems in the future.
If someone feeds a neighbor’s cat on their property without permission, they could potentially receive a citation or even be arrested.
It is also considered trespassing if someone feeds your cat without your permission. If you happen to notice that people are feeding your pet, make sure to speak with them right away about the problem.
The last thing a good neighbor would do is feed a stranger’s cat on purpose because this could lead to a mess and an even bigger headache for everyone.
As we have mentioned before, you don’t know if the cat is someone’s pet or if it belongs to a random wild animal. As much as you may want to help by feeding it, there are other options that you could explore such as taking the feline to the animal shelter or speaking with your neighbors about it.
If you are looking to help in some way, but don’t want to feed the cat yourself, then there may be other opportunities for assistance. Keep in mind that sometimes all a cat needs is love and you can provide that without food.
If You Feed a Cat Will It Come Back?
The simple answer to this question is yes, a fed cat will return. This is why it’s so important not to feed them in the first place!
Leaving food out for any stray animal may make you feel like you are helping, but in reality, this is often more harmful than good.
Cats who are used to having food readily available may become aggressive when they don’t get their fill and will try to snatch up any food in sight.
This can lead to even more problems, such as a cat fight or an injury. Even if the animal is not aggressive, it still poses a risk to your safety and you never know when something like this could happen.
If the cat is a rescuer’s pet, you may be putting them in danger as well. Sometimes rescuing an animal comes with risks and you don’t know if they will become aggressive once they are out of their environment.
This is another reason why it is important not to feed a neighbor’s cat.
How to Stop My Cat Going to Another House
If you are looking to stop your cat from going to another house, there are some steps that you can take.
This may not be a guarantee that your cat will stop wandering off to other people’s houses and yards, but it is a possibility that will reduce the number of times that they do it.
- Make sure that your cat has a collar and an ID tag. If you don’t have one, consider buying one from your local pet store or from online retailers. Once you get your new collar, be sure to engrave their name and your contact information.
- You may also want to get your pet microchipped if they don’t already have one. This can be done at many veterinary clinics and you will never need to worry about them slipping away again!
- There are also some natural deterrents that you can use, such as lemon or orange slices, that may help to keep your cat from going to another house.
- It is also a good idea to take the lid off of the litterbox and place it in an area that you want them to avoid. This can be done inside or outside, depending on where you think they will go!
- The last step as to how to stop my cat from going to another house is to make sure that they get plenty of playtime and exercise. A cat who spends most of their time sleeping or hiding in a closet will want to explore when they do decide to venture out!
- Consider speaking with your vet about getting them some medication. This won’t be something that you need to do forever, but it will help them to stay in their own yard during times where they are especially active.
These methods are not guaranteed to work, but it’s a good idea to have an action plan for when your cat does decide to go elsewhere.
In conclusion, there are many reasons that you should not feed your neighbor’s cat. If you see them roaming around your yard or another person’s home, then it is important to remember not to do this as it can lead to aggression, injury, and other problems.
If you are looking to help in some way, then there may be other opportunities for assistance. Keep in mind that sometimes all a cat needs is love and you can provide that without food.